Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Whole Grain Pancakes

This whole wheat pancakes are great to keep on hand for breakfast as well as snack time. I always make several, and freeze them in groups of 2-4. That way, later in the week when I need something quick and easy to feed my kids, I can grab some out of the freezer, pop them in the toaster, and feed them to my kids within 5 minutes with minimal effort. They are pretty healthy to boot!

I like this recipe with a relatively high amount of sugar (as far as pancakes go) because I skip the syrup (too messy). If you plan to serve with syrup consider cutting the sugar to 2 Tbsp instead of 1/4 cup.

If you have older kids that are finicky about whole grain foods, start with 1 cup of whole grain flour and 1 cup of regular flour. Over time you can adjust the ratio until you end up with just whole grain goodness.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups whole grain flour
  • 2 Tbsp flax meal (optional but very healthy)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/3 cups milk (roughly)
Mix in ideas: Chocolate chips, cinnamon powder, crushed walnuts, banana slices, blueberries, and peanut butter.

Making the Pancakes:

Sift together flour, flax, baking, powder, and salt in a small bowl. Set bowl aside. In a larger bowl, mix the egg and sugar together until well combined.
Add in the dry mix, stirring to combine. Slowly start adding in the milk while continuing to stir.
Add enough milk so that the batter is slightly runny. Add extra if it does not get runny enough. Mix the milk in slowly in case it isn't all needed. There is a decent amount of wiggle room with this so don't worry too much about getting the perfect consistency.
 Throw in any add ins like chocolate chips or blueberries. Then heat a pan on the stove to medium heat. I use about 1/3 of a cup for each pancake, that tends to be a good size for my kids. I prefer not to use non-stick cookware so I use a tiny spray of Pam on the pan. Cook pancakes on each side for about 2-3 minutes each.
Chocolate Chip pancakes pictured above.

Cinnamon dusted pancakes pictured below:
 I often make several different kinds out of 1 single batch. Variety is fun!
 They are wonderful fresh, but most of the ones I make get bagged up and frozen for later consumption.

That's it! Quick, easy, and healthy - Not much else I could ask for!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!