Friday, August 26, 2011

Modified Onesie - Mock Necklace with Rosettes and Crystals

I was feeling crafty again today so I decided to experiment with modifying a onesie.

I went through Baby Boo's closet and found a few plain white onesies. I actually picked one that had a design on the front because I knew the design would get covered up anyway, and because I liked the fit of this longer and lighter cotton onesie compared to the thick and boxy Gerber brand ones:
As you can see from the photo above, I made a couple of fabric rosettes first. I did a project back in May with fabric rosettes, and I perfected my technique by doing a ton of them. Check it out here if you want to see that, or if you want the link for the online tutorial I used. They are super easy once you get it!

I wanted to make a mock necklace design on the onesie using some hotfix crystals and the rosettes (in case you didn't figure that out from the title already). Hotfix crystals are basically rhinestones that you can attach to fabric (or other surfaces) using a special heat wand to apply them. The great thing about them is that they stick really well and can be thrown in the washing machine along with other clothes. The hotfix tool can be purchased at most craft stores or online for anywhere between $10-$40.

After making the rosettes, I grabbed a washable marker and marked out the design of the mock necklace. As you can see, I only use the most sophisticated fine art tools for my work:
Little Dude was a little jealous that I was using his marker, but I asked him nicely if I could use it and he said "OK, mummy use marker for 5 minutes!" He then forgot about the time constraint he placed on me and went to play with his train set.

Once the design was drawn out, I hot glued the rosettes in place and then started hotfixing the crystals onto the onesie. I used genuine Swarovski crystals for this since they are so pretty and sparkly.
 10 short minutes later, the design was done:
 My model was sleeping while I made this, but she woke up right in time so I threw it on her:
She was still rather sleepy and not impressed. . .
she looked good though.

Attitude!

Practicing her aloof, open mouthed, model pose:
Looks a little Kate Moss-ish:
Not that she's ever allowed to be that skinny.

I'm not worried about that for now though seeing as how Baby Boo has 3 rolls in each thigh and her hands are plugged into her wrists. Random thought of the day: I wonder if Kate Moss was ever a chubby baby?

Anyway, back on topic - I like how the onesie turned out. The photos don't do it justice since they don't really capture the sparkle very well. I would make the crystals a little closer together next time and maybe throw in a small bow somewhere because it looks a little plain to me. It is cute though and I will definitely be attempting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!