Monday, July 4, 2011

Home Made Triple Berry Syrup

I have some fond memories of weekend breakfasts from my childhood. During the week we always had cereal in the morning, but on weekends it was always something a little more special like crepes, waffles, pancakes etc. I loved waking up on Sunday mornings to the smell of my mom's cooking.

I am not as good as my mom was with the weekend breakfast thing; I still serve up cereal most weekends. I do like to make a special breakfast every now and then though, and pancakes with triple berry syrup is one of my go-to dishes.

The syrup is pretty easy to make. It does have to simmer for a half hour, but it I always take that time to make the pancakes, get everything else set up for breakfast, and help the hubs get the kids up. By the time everyone is all set to eat, the syrup is good to go. If you prefer a cold syrup, it is best to make it the night before and keep it in the fridge until breakfast time.

Ingredients:
  • 16 oz. package of mixed berries
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 cup of water

Making the Triple Berry Syrup:

 Start by putting the whole package of frozen berries into a saucepan and turn the stove on medium.
Then add in the sugar and water
Stir the mixture with a fork until all the sugar is dissolved.
Allow sauce to simmer on medium or med-low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. I have left it unstirred for 15 minutes at a time without problems so no need to babysit it - just don't forget about it the whole half hour. After 30 minutes the syrup should have thickened slightly.
It will thicken up considerably more as it cools so don't fret if it seems too runny.
I then pour the syrup into a gravy boat for serving. I like to let it cool for about 10 minutes before serving it to the kiddos.

Serve over your favorite pancakes, waffles or crepes:
A dollop of whipped cream would be the perfect finishing touch!

2 comments:

  1. My mom does Sunday breakfast still! We love going over there. She makes a similar recipe, but uses raspberries from her garden... SO good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to put a raspberry bush or two in my back yard. I think that won't happen until next year though. My parents do a weekend breakfast/brunch roughly once a month now with the extended family. It is fun.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!