It has been a couple of weeks since all that though, and now I am happy to report that I have made some major progress on "the wall".
To recap, this was what I had planned originally for the wall of the dining area of our kitchen back in May:
Check out that post here.
This is going to be the centerpiece for the wall display.
Check out that other post here.
I did manage to process all the photos for the type case project and get prints ordered through MPix.com. After a lot of cutting and fitting I finally had that part all done a couple of weeks ago:
Touch of Home - Burnsville, MN
I might try to DIY this cute heart shelf system some time.
More pretty heart cutout shelves:
Sorry about the poorly lit photos,
they were from my flashless phone.
This giant, solid wood cabinet would be fun to refinish:
If my house had room for it, I so would have scooped it up!
Anyway, the point was that I totally fell in love with the store. Best of all, the place was littered with wooden picture frames. I sorted through a couple dozen (at least), and picked 8 to buy. All 8 cost me a grand total of $15, woohoo! I bought more than I needed for the wall display, but I figured nice frames will get used somewhere or another so better to have too many than not enough:
I figured I could spray paint all the wooden ones white so I didn't pay much attention to their original color. I just made sure they were all real solid wood frames and not plastic or laminate junk. I had fun staging potential wall layouts on the grass once I got home:
The funny thing is that I had purchased a frame from Home Goods a week earlier that I was planning on spray painting white:
I ended up returning the $15 frame.
Then I spray painted each one white:After the paint dried, I distressed them lightly with some sand paper so that some of the natural wood showed through and brought some more cohesiveness to the group. I still haven't decided on the photos or prints that I want to put in them, so for now I threw in some coordinating scrapbooking paper:
I decided to only use 5 of the 8 frames to keep the wall from looking too busy.
The other 3 will likely be used in Hailey's room for a wall collage.
At this point, I had the display pieces all set, but the wall was very much not set at all. It had skid marks from the chairs as well as several dents. I went ahead and filled them in with some all purpose spackle:
Dents from an old baby gate that we no longer use:
Close, but no cigar. Wah wah wah. . .
15 minutes of paint a couple of years too late and . . .
It was vastly improved!Later that day, once the paint was dry, I taped off a boundary line at a height of 36":
Not too shabby:
Finally I was ready to set up the wall display. I measured out the frames and made size replicas using newspaper and painter's tape. I played with the layout and landed on this:
"The secret to having it all. . . is knowing you already do."
Next up came hanging the actual frames. I had once heard of the "toothpaste trick" for hanging pictures. I don't know if this is how it is supposed to work, but it is how I did it and it worked out great. Basically I put a large glob of toothpaste on the hanging part of each frame:
I used this technique for hanging all of the frames and ended up with this:
View from the hallway:
Closer up from the side:
Phase 1 of the kitchen/dining area project is done. The wall is no longer naked!
Phase 2 is the painting which is half done. Next I need to do the stenciling. The stencil actually just arrived this morning via priority mail so I am anxious to get working on it - that is. . . when the kids - and our crazy schedule - will allow it. My goal is to have it done by the weekend so that *maybe* we can put the trim up on Sunday. Wish me luck!