Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Purple Heirlooms - Oh My!

I wasn't going to do a garden update this week. I figured there wasn't much to tell, but then I went outside to water everything just now and found this:
Eek!

I can't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure that I squealed out loud when I saw this puppy. I should have put my hand in there for reference but it is roughly the size of the palm of my hand.

It was buried in the middle of the plant so I hadn't seen it the last few days. This should be a purple heirloom tomato which is crazy because that plant is supposed to be the least hardy of all my tomato plants. . . at least that is what the farmer at the farmer's market told me. It didn't get the memo I guess, seeing as how it is the only tomato amongst all the tomato plants in the main garden. There are lots of flowers all over so there will be more soon, but it is the only tomato.

My Topsy Turvy plants are a different story. They have over a dozen tomatoes growing! They are all rather small right now but if I remember correctly (which I very well may not), the tomatoes on those plants are all smaller varieties.
Here is a close up of a few:

My pepper is coming along slowly but surely too:

The flowers in the front are looking rather spiffy too:
I'll keep this short and sweet for this week. If you want to catch up on my gardening journey I have lumped all of the gardening posts here. I'm hoping that by next week I can show off a purple heirloom salad!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, so jealous of the warm weather crops. It's too cold and foggy here on the north coast for tomatoes and peppers, although Erik is attempting cherry tomatoes. I'm not holding my breath. Your heirloom mater looks awesome. Hope it tastes fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have guessed that it stayed so cool out there. Good luck to Erik with the cherry tomatoes. You'll have to let me know how that works out. At least you can do kale still, I'm kicking myself for not planting any. Next year I will for sure!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!