Both kids are on the mend from some virus so we have been spending our days at home this week. Today was no exception so I decided to go ahead and tackle the dresser.
I am an idiot and deleted the only before shot of the dresser that I had on my camera while reviewing photos a while back. Genius I know! I (thankfully) managed to find this old shot of it though hidden away in my old computer files:
First of all I gutted the dresser of its drawers and their contents, and brought it out onto an old painting blanket in the kitchen. I would have preferred to do this all in the garage but with both kids around the garage wasn't an option. The weather was gorgeous and breezy so I opened all the windows and doors which created ideal ventilation.
The first step was to sand the scratches and peeling varnish. I just hit the problem areas which took all of five minutes. For the rest of the varnish I simply wiped all the surface area with this:
From there I moved on to the drawers. Here is what the bottom three drawers used to look like:
This is the final result:
I LOVE how it turned out and am so happy that I finally bit the bullet and got this done. It matches the room so well. I had purchased the lion knobs on clearance at Babies"R"Us for $3 for the two a few months back and they are my favorite detail of all:
I also want to mention that I have never painted a piece of furniture before so I think I did pretty well for a newbie. Now that this is done, the focus will go back outside at least through the weekend. I hope the momentum keeps up!