Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pretty Princesses & Polka Dot Dresses!

Little Dude is well on his way to being a 3 year old, and I am definitely noticing some changes in him recently. I love noticing all the little differences, and I especially like to record them because these are the details that I really don't remember well when I look back on the blurr that is my kids' babyhood. These are all pretty typical developmentally speaking, but through this momma's eyes, they are amazing and awe inspiring.

First there are the stories. The imaginations on these little guys are mind blowing, and the connections they make can be hilarious. Toddlers are busy putting 2 and 2 together, though the answer isn't always the 4 you're expecting. I think this is the reason we get some of the really funny "from the mouths of babes" comments that are so common for this age. I have posted several of my own under Little Dude's Special Gems. As 3 approaches, the stories become more elaborate as the imagination kicks in. All the sudden I find myself being informed that puppy dogs like to ride in space ships because there are big bones in outer space.
Next there are the questions. 3 is the age of reason. No that doesn't mean 3 year olds are reasonable - far from it actually. They are beginning to understand that reason exists though, and therefore, ask for that reason ALL. THE. TIME.

It feels like I am asked 50 bajillion questions every minute with Little Dude. . . (yes, I counted.)


What's this momma?

Why is that momma?

How you do that momma?

Why?

Why?

Why?


I am a big fan of when the imagination and questions merge into some very odd question asking. . . or sometimes answering. Earlier today I put Baby Boo into a fleece night gown since she had dirtied her other outfit. Little Dude looked at her gown and the gears in his toddler brain started turning:
 

Momma why you put a pretty dress on Baby Boo?

Is it because Baby Boo is a pretty princess?

Oh, and is she pretty because she have polka dots?

Momma, all pretty princesses have polka dots on their dresses!?!


Woah, I don't think I got a word in edgewise in that conversation. Little Dude was happy that his question had been answered though, so he grabbed Baby Boo's hand and took her away to play "princesses and crocodiles".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!