A good year ago, my sister in law had an old jewelry armoire that she no longer wanted. I told her I would take it. It was a good quality, sturdy, mostly hard wood piece of furniture. The only problem was that it was a bit blah for me. Here is my Little Dude modelling the armoire for you (in his PJs of course):
Here it is with all the compartments open:
It was just a little too traditional for me, so I decided to paint it! Now, a year later, I finally got around to it.
My 1st venture into furniture painting was almost a year ago with my son's dresser revamp:
Check out the original post here.
It worked out great so I figured I would try another painting project. First, I got to disassembling the armoire. I unscrewed all the hinges from the side compartments and the top, as well as removed all drawer pulls throughout. The next step was to rub the whole thing down with a liquid deglosser. I used this when I refinished my son's dresser and it seemed to work out well:
Deglosser is an easy and inexpensive way to prep treated wood for painting. I just put a nice glob of the stuff on the wooden surfaces, and rubbed them down well with a rag. It was a stinky process; I made sure the kids weren't around, and that there was plenty of ventilation. Next up was the priming/painting part. I had 3/4s of a gallon of Behr premium paint + primer in bright white (satin finish) laying around from an old project to use. I had planned on going white anyway. This part definitely took the longest. I managed to get 2 coats in the first day, and I did a 3rd the next day.
I must admit that I did have a little help. . . some very cute help:
Tapestry stencils by Martha StewartI got an awesome Martha Stewart laser cut stencil pack from Michaels. The largest ones are $16.99 but I used a 50% off coupon which made them rather cheap for stencils. I meant to buy spray adhesive for stencils too, but my local Michaels was sold out so I had to make do with some painter's tape:
Way Better!I used spray primer and spray ORB paint. I used 1 coat of primer, and 2 coats of the ORB for all the hardware pieces:
I let everything sit for a couple of days so that the paint could cure, then I reassembled everything.
Here is the final result:
Close up of mirror detail:
1 more angle:
It is so much more interesting than the original, which is exactly what I was going for. In all, I estimate that I put about 6 ours worth of my time into the project and about $20 worth of supplies since I used a bunch of paint that I had lying around, and 50% off coupons for the rest. Not too shabby really.